Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Courage and Comfort


Merriam Websters Dictionary defines courage as:
 mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty

Courage with a capital C brings images of battles with guns, doctors or lawyers.  Most of my battles ask for courage with a small c.  Beginning or persevering with the project I am resisting; balancing the checking account,  giving the dog a bath or  asking to have a conversation.  

Usually the resistance is more uncomfortable than the task.  Stopping to ask "Where is this resistance coming from?"  generates a little girl voice in my head saying "I just don't want to!".  The resistance of a young child not picking up toys, eating peas or saying "I'm sorry"  because an adult is telling them to. I like this child-like rebellion.  She reminds me to find my own way, to play and ask for what I want.  

Brene Brown shares in an interview with Oprah that "We can choose courage or comfort, but we can't have both.    

view one min interview video

But I want both!  

Merriam Websters Dictionary has 2 meaning for comfort:
:  to give strength and hope to :  cheer
:  to ease the grief or trouble of :  console

Can I have courage with hope and ease?  Taking little steps.  Finding ways to make tasks I am resisting fun.  Celebrate the efforts and completions.  Creating ways to move forward with joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment