Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Novel Gift

Such a joy to give myself time to get lost in a good book.  Finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett last night.  Fiction based in Jackson Mississippi in the 1960's.

Continue to reflect on the seeds one of the 3 main female characters, chose to plant in a child she was charged with taking care of.  How can a young child with a raciest, self-absorbed Mother survive the neglect and verbal abuse of her home?  The three things the black maid, Aibileen, left young white Mae Mobley saying aloud are:
"I is kind."
"I is smart."
"I is important."

Do these translate to compassion, wisdom and purpose?
Can I be non-judgmental with myself and others?
Can I tap into my wisdom?
Can I live my purpose boldly?

Simplicity and strength in:
I am kind.
I am smart.
I am important.



Official book web site for The Help

No comments:

Post a Comment